Bacterial infection

We are still struggling to get the bacterial infection on J.’s skin under control. Although most of the small puss filled pustules are healing off, there are still new ones every day. His lower arms and upper legs are sprinkled with red spots. We bandage his arms and hands everyday so that he doesn’t scratch and doesn’t get some other infection. We saw the doctor again on Monday and he took a swap from the pustules. Today we got the results from the laboratory: group A beta-hemolytic streptococcus. I have hoped it is the more harmless and usually on the skin living staphylococcus aureus, but no, it is the potentially dangerous streptococcus bacterium. This bacterium has no business living on the skin and if it is there it can cause all sorts of complications, sour throat being one of the less harmful alternatives.

J. probably picked up this bacterium somewhere, may be in daycare, where many children are sick, one child even had scarlet fever, which is caused by a toxic strain of group a streptococcus. Instead of him developing e.g. tonsillitis, which happens in non-atopic children, his point of weakest defense is his skin where the bacterium can easily spread across the eczema and is well helped by scratching. We are struggling with this infection now for a month without any improvement. Topical application of antibiotic cream helped well locally but small spots kept popping up. However, the pediatrician advised us against using topical antibiotic cream because there seems to be a chance of developing an allergy against the antibiotic. So I guess we are in for an other round of systemic antibiotics. I just picked up the prescription. This is our third round of antibiotics in less than half a year, and the second time due to complications from eczema. No, I am not thrilled about this at all.

This entry was posted in complications. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Bacterial infection

  1. Cindy says:

    Thanks for your comment on my blog. I have read Superimmunity for Kids and referred to it on my blog, it is very helpful! I am sorry your little guy is struggling so much. Do you think a bleach bath might help to kill some of the bacteria on the skin? We have used 1/4 to 1/2 cup of bleach for a whole bathtub full of water. I don’t do them often, but have found them helpful if they are having a difficult time.

  2. Caroline says:

    Thank you Cindy for the recommendation to use a bleach bath. I will try that when he has his next bacterial infection (I hope we have to wait for it for a while).

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s